Information in other languages
The UK NSC is committed to translating its public information resources into other languages to improve access to screening.
Antenatal and newborn screening programmes
Translations of the English antenatal and newborn parent booklet are available below.
Click on the name of a language to see the full list of files for that language, or click on the appropriate box of the table to start downloading the information for that screening programme in the particular language. Please note some of these files are extremely large (up to 13MB).
1: Introduction, 2: Sickle Cell and Thalassaemia, 3: Infectious Diseases in Pregnancy, 4: Down's Syndrome, 5: Fetal Anomaly, 6: Newborn and Infant Physical Examination, 7: Newborn Hearing, 8: Blood Spot, 9: More information
Obtaining printed copies of the translations
Limited numbers of printed copies of the translated leaflets will be provided to NHS interpretors for reference.
To provide hard copies for patients, NHS Trusts will need to organise their own print runs. Print ready artwork can be requested from Nic Rosen.
British Sign Language Video
As well as the leaflets, a video has been created showing the leaflet translated into British Sign Language.
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm screening programme
The NHS Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Screening Programme has translated its patient leaflets into Arabic, Bengali, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Farsi, Gujarati, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi and Urdu.
Use of interpreters
Guidelines on using interpreters have been developed by the UK NSC.
The following leaflet translations are available from the Health Scotland website:
- Breast Screening – What You Need to Know leaflet is available in Urdu, Chinese and Polish.
- Cervical Screening – Leaflets are available in Urdu, Chinese and Polish.
- Newborn Screening – Your Guide to Newborn Screening Tests is available in Urdu, Chinese and Polish.
- Newborn Hearing Screening – Your Baby’s Visit to the Audiology Clinic is available in Bengali, French, Hindi, Lutiuanian, Polish, Russian, Spanish, Traditional Chinese and Urdu.
- Bowel Screening – Know the Facts leaflet is available in Bengali, French, Hindi, Lutiuanian, Polish, Russian, Spanish, Traditional Chinese and Urdu.
Information updated on 28 March 2012.
- Antenatal Screening Wales has resources in 16 languages in addition to Welsh and English. The amniocentesis leaflet is available in 6 languages as well as Welsh and English
- Breast Test Wales offers information in 18 languages as well as Welsh and English
- Bowel Screening Wales offers the information leaflets in 15 languages as well as Welsh and English
- Cervical Screening Wales, which has leaflets available in 18 languages as well as Welsh and English
Information updated on 1 March 2012.